Road Maps to Faith at Home
October 2019 GIFT Road Map - Reading the Bible
GIFT Connection to the Catechism: The Revelation of God 50-73,The Transmission of Divine Revelation 74-100, Sacred Scripture 101-143
Learning Objectives“Reading the Bible” learning session guides learners of all ages to…
- Explore the essential value of reading, studying, and praying with the Bible in living one’s Christian life (know what).
- Grow in appreciation of the many riches the Bible holds. The more one understands the structure, origin, and context of the Scriptures, the better one can incorporate the Bible into one’s daily life (know why).
- To be able to navigate one’s way around the Bible with at least a basic understanding of the various types of literature in the Scriptures, and to begin understanding how to interpret the proper meaning in a Scripture passage (know how).
Grades 1 &2
Reviewed four parts of the Mass
Introduce the Bible - Story of Creation - Genesis 2
Introduce Our Father
Grades 3,4 & 5
Reasons to read the Bible
What is the Bible - inspired by the Holy Spirit
Old Testament (before Jesus) New Testament (with Jesus)
Grades 6 & 7
What is the Bible? Video from The Bible Project
Old Testament 46 books(before Jesus) New Testament 27 books (with Jesus)
Why should I read the Bible? God is the principle author - inspired by the Holy Spirit
The Bible is our guide: How can I love God more? My neighbor more?
Matthew Kelly's Decision Point
A Map for the Journey
How should I use the Bible? Start with Matthew, Genesis, and Psalms
The Power of Habit
Finding A Bible Passage
To find a passage in the Bible follow these simple steps:
- Scripture references are always listed in the same format:
- name of the book, such as “Matthew”
- followed by the Chapter number, such as “5:”
- followed by the verse number, such as “14”
- Locate the book. Use your Table of Contents to find the beginning of your desired book.
- Locate the chapter. Next, page forward to the desired chapter. Notice the relatively large chapter numbers in the text of the Bible.
- Locate the verse. Notice the small numbers embedded with the words of the text. These numbers designate the verses.
Practice finding Bible passages. Write down the verse indicated.
Matthew 5:14 ________________________________________________________________________
Psalm 23:1 ________________________________________________________________________
Psalm 46:11 ________________________________________________________________________
John 3:16 ________________________________________________________________________
We have signed our parish up for Formed, a Catholic resource for all to use.
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet connected device.Discover thousands of books, audio talks,movies, documentaries, and studies... there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
Registering for FORMED:
- Go to formed.org/signup
- Select your parish (Our Lady of Victory)
- Register with your name and email address
- Check that email account for a link to begin using FORMED:
Why go to Mass