November 20, 2022
Why Does Jesus Matter?
Our life is not accidental, nor is it created by chance. This session we will
look at who Jesus claimed to be, current opinions about who Jesus is, and
four things that set him apart.
A. Who is Jesus?
• There are many different opinions about who Jesus is.
• Is there something about Jesus that sets him apart?
B. What sets Jesus apart?
• Witness of his enduring cultural impact.
• Witness of those who knew him and lived with him, recorded
in the four Gospels.
»» Jesus’ authority over nature: calming the storm on the sea.
»» Jesus’ authority to forgive sins: forgiving the paralyzed man.
»» Jesus’ power to raise the dead: raising Lazarus from the
dead. (John 11:1-45)
»» See “What are the Gospels and Are They Reliable?” .
• Witness and testimony of Jesus himself.
»» Jesus claimed he was one with God. No other significant
religious figure (Buddha, Moses, Mohammed) claimed this.
“The Father and I are one.”
“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing
that people often say about Him: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a
great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ That
is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man
and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral
teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man
who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil
of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and
is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse.”
C.S. LEWIS, MERE CHRISTIANITY
• Witness of changed lives.
C. Who do you say that I am?
• We must answer the most important question Jesus ever
asked his followers:
“Who do you say that I am?”
Why Does Jesus Matter Discussion Questions
1. What was a significant point in Fr. Erik’s talk for you?
2. What do you think about the “man on the street” interviews?
Which of the opinions sound like something your friends or
family might say?
3. Imagine someone approached you on the street and asked,
“Who do you believe Jesus is?” What would your answer be?
4. What do you think Jesus was saying about himself when he
calmed the storm on the sea?
5. What do you think Jesus was saying about himself when he
forgave the sins of the paralytic?
6. What do you think Jesus was showing about himself when he
raised Lazarus from the dead?
7. What do you think of the argument C.S. Lewis presented?
8. Does Jesus have an impact on your daily life?
• If he does, describe some of the ways he influences you.
• If he does not, what might you do to let him?