What Does Jesus Want Us to Know?
A. What did Jesus come to reveal?
• Jesus came to reveal that God is a Father who loves us.
• The brokenness in the world and in our personal lives
impact our view of fatherhood.
B. How do we know God the Father?
• Jesus and his example.
“If you know me, then you will also know my Father.”
• Jesus reveals the Father’s love through his words
“Jesus looked up and said to him, ‘Zacchaeus, come down
quickly, for today I must stay at your house.’ And Zacchaeus
came down quickly and received Him with joy...”
» Jesus knows Zacchaeus by name.
» Zacchaeus is radically changed.
C. Characteristics of the Father’s Love
• The Father’s love is his initiative.
• The Father’s love is unconditional.
• The Father’s love is a free gift.
• The Father’s love is personal.
“The source of Christian joy is the certainty of being loved by God,
loved personally by our Creator, by the one who holds the entire
universe in His hands and loves each one of us and the whole
great human family with a passionate and faithful love, a love
greater than our infidelities and sins, a love which forgives.”
POPE BENEDICT XVI, JUNE 23, 2006
D.Modern Day Parable Video
Jesus claimed to be the Son of God who came on a mission to rescue
humanity and all of creation. This session we will look at what Jesus came
to reveal: that God is a Father who loves us. God’s love is his initiative,
unconditional, free, and personal.
Unconditional Love YouTube
November 20, 2022
Why Does Jesus Matter?
Our life is not accidental, nor is it created by chance. This session we will
look at who Jesus claimed to be, current opinions about who Jesus is, and
four things that set him apart.
A. Who is Jesus?
• There are many different opinions about who Jesus is.
• Is there something about Jesus that sets him apart?
B. What sets Jesus apart?
• Witness of his enduring cultural impact.
• Witness of those who knew him and lived with him, recorded
in the four Gospels.
»» Jesus’ authority over nature: calming the storm on the sea.
»» Jesus’ authority to forgive sins: forgiving the paralyzed man.
»» Jesus’ power to raise the dead: raising Lazarus from the
dead. (John 11:1-45)
»» See “What are the Gospels and Are They Reliable?” .
• Witness and testimony of Jesus himself.
»» Jesus claimed he was one with God. No other significant
religious figure (Buddha, Moses, Mohammed) claimed this.
“The Father and I are one.”
“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing
that people often say about Him: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a
great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ That
is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man
and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral
teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man
who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil
of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and
is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse.”
C.S. LEWIS, MERE CHRISTIANITY
• Witness of changed lives.
C. Who do you say that I am?
• We must answer the most important question Jesus ever
asked his followers:
“Who do you say that I am?”
Why Does Jesus Matter Discussion Questions
1. What was a significant point in Fr. Erik’s talk for you?
2. What do you think about the “man on the street” interviews?
Which of the opinions sound like something your friends or
family might say?
3. Imagine someone approached you on the street and asked,
“Who do you believe Jesus is?” What would your answer be?
4. What do you think Jesus was saying about himself when he
calmed the storm on the sea?
5. What do you think Jesus was saying about himself when he
forgave the sins of the paralytic?
6. What do you think Jesus was showing about himself when he
raised Lazarus from the dead?
7. What do you think of the argument C.S. Lewis presented?
8. Does Jesus have an impact on your daily life?
• If he does, describe some of the ways he influences you.
• If he does not, what might you do to let him?